Plan Your Visit
Your Snowdon adventure starts here
2021 COVID-19 Update
In line with the proposed Welsh Government lifting of social distancing regulations from the 7th August 2021 our carriages will load to normal passenger capacity. Customers can expect to travel with a combination of other passengers between 8 to 10 per compartment.
Due to the extreme weather conditions we have removed the Perspex screens separating compartments. This will allow full air flow within the carriages and full access to opening all carriage windows.
Face coverings are mandatory (unless exempt) in all indoor areas including the ticket office, toilets, station café and on-board the trains for the duration of the journey.
Hygiene and comfort measures in place
• Social distancing measures are in place which include one-way systems and queue controls. Additional signage is in place to assist visitors.
• We are encouraging all visitors to use hand wash facilities and comply with government guidelines on personal hygiene.
• Hand sanitising stations are location around the premises.
• Our staff have been given additional training and all are working with appropriate PPE where required. In addition we have extra “Hygiene Teams” working throughout the day.
• We have guest information boards throughout the site helping all our visitors with the use of facilities.
• We ask our guests to remember to be kind, courteous and respectful to fellow visitors and staff during their visit.
Thank you for your patience and support, we can’t wait to welcome you back.
Roadworks and Temporary Traffic Lights
There are currently some roadworks and temporary traffic lights at the junction of the A4086 in Llanberis and the A4244 in Brynrefail. If you are travelling from that direction please allow extra time for your journey as traffic can build up during busy periods.
A warm Welsh welcome awaits you at Snowdon Mountain Railway, in the picturesque village of Llanberis. Visitors have been coming here to experience this unique railway since 1896, soaking up the sights and sounds of billowing steam in the heart of Snowdonia. Today’s visitor can do the same and relax in our flower-lined forecourt, taking in the views of the surrounding mountains, before they begin their journey up through the clouds to Yr Wyddfa, Snowdon.
Our station gift shop is housed in the original Booking Hall from 1896. The original beams are exposed, and Victorian shop fittings were sourced to enhance the stations heritage. The shop has a selection of authentic Welsh products including locally crafted ales and spirits, unique Snowdon Mountain Railway souvenirs, clothing and Celtic jewellery.
Food & Drink
Our fully licensed Station Buffet and Platform Grill serve a tasty variety of hot and cold snacks from burgers, hot dogs and fries to delicious sandwiches. Hot and cold drinks and a selection of cakes from the local bakery are also available throughout the day, you can even enjoy a Whippy or soft scoop ice cream from our vintage ice cream tram.
Parking in Llanberis
We have our own pay and display car park at Snowdon Mountain Railway, which is located behind the station on Victoria Terrace (see postcode LL55 4TT) which does not require pre-booking. Parking can be limited during busy periods.
There is also ample paid parking in Llanberis which does not require pre-booking.
The recent article in the news relates to the Pen-y-Pass car park which is not in Llanberis where our station is located.
The following parking tariffs apply for the Snowdon Mountain Railway car park:
|Up to 30 minutes – FREE (no ticket required)|
|4 additional hours – £4|
|8 additional hours – £8|
|12 additional hours – £12|
Parking tariffs apply 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Tariffs apply for Blue Badge holders.
There are two payment machines located in the car park which accept coins.
You can purchase additional time (if required) at the payment machines or by phone before leaving the car park. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions will result in a Parking Charge of £100.
If trains are cancelled at short notice we do not offer refunds on parking.
The car park across the road from the station is not owned or operated by Snowdon Mountain Railway.
How to Find Us
The Railway operates from Llanberis Station on the A4086. Approximate travelling times from:
|A55 Junction 2 Bangor||25 minutes|
Download the FREE Snowdon Mountain Railway App!
Follow your journey to the Summit using our interactive App. Enhance your visit with access to a wealth of essential information, interesting facts, photos and audio commentary. How to download:
- Login to WiFi and enable Bluetooth and location services on your phone.
- Search for ‘Snowdon Mountain Railway’ in the App Store or on Google Play, install on your iOS or Android phone or tablet (not available for Windows or Amazon). Smartphones require iOS 10.0 or later, compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Android requires 5.1 and up.
- Tap on ‘Interactive Journey’ then scan the QR code (on your booking confirmation email or here at the station) to unlock the tour to experience the Interactive Journey on arrival at the station.
- Bring your earphones for the App audio, or purchase some in the station shop.